Sunday, November 11, 2012
Assalammualaikum everyone! This is a (pretty) serious matter, so please read this entry carefully. Hopefully we’ll benefit something from it insyallah. :) Remember that shirk is INDEED the most dangerous sin and should be avoided no matter what! Here are some basic types of shirk:
1. As Muslims, we should believe in the Oneness of Allah, and He is to be worshipped alone (without associating Him with any beings). With that, we must always be careful to not commit shirk; for it is the ONLY sin Allah will NEVER forgive!
2. The first type of shirk is grave worshipping. This is a belief that the dead (saints, wali) can fulfill one’s needs or help at times of distress, so they call upon the dead for aid or to rescue them from calamity or disaster. Take note that ONLY Allah can help us, and nobody else; including the dead.
3. Astrology, numerology and horoscope are sadly, the trend in today’s modern society. Therefore, we Muslims should curb this understanding at all costs! These beliefs, without us realizing, lead to shirk! So the next time you see an article or horoscopes in newspapers/Facebook, put it aside, pronto!
“Number 7 is lucky for me so I should have it on my car plate number!”
“My horoscope sign says that I will be granted with wealth tomorrow!”
4. Sadly, several ignorant wrongdoers and are weak in faith turn to shaman or bomoh in order to seek aid, or to help them harm another person (with black magic) when they should turn to Allah for help instead (Note: Allah disapproves of black magic)! Whenever you’re in trouble, always seek Allah. As Muslims, we do not require any mediums, so why not pray and make dua’ to Allah directly instead?
“Shaman, I need your help in finding my missing gold bracelet”
“Shaman, I need you to harm my boss with your black magic”
“Shaman, please tell me what my future holds for me”
5. Wearing amulets, talisman, rings, threads etc in order to seek protection, prevention, good luck, lifting afflictions etc is downright shirk! These are mere inanimate objects are men-made, so there is no way it they could help us in any way! Only Allah can help us in any way possible.
“If you wear this bracelet, it will safeguard you from evil”
“Wear this ring and it will give you good luck”
6. Although shirk is the most dangerous sin, Allah promises to forgive as long as one is still alive and do taubah! In addition, memorize and practice the dua’ for fear of shirk (extracted from Hisn Al-Muslim) regularly and insyallah, we’ll benefit from it.
“Allahumma inee a’au dhu bika an oshrika bika wa- ana a’aalam, wa – astaghfiruka lima la a’alam”
(Oh Allah, I take refuge in you lest I should commit shirk with You knowingly, and I seek Your forgiveness for what I do unknowingly)